Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The way I see it

Sometimes I think I have human existence figured out. And then something happens or someone introduces a different perspective that reminds me that I don't. The bottom line is, I know enough to know that I really don't know anything!

But what I would like to do is summarize my analysis of humanity, based upon my own experience up through this exact moment, for the purpose of determining how I will contribute to the human story.

The way I see it, the problem with humanity is that we don't even know who we are. We spend half of our lives attempting to define ourselves..Am I an animal? Am I an alien? Am I a "woman"? "man"? "black"? "white"? "homosexual"? "Muslim"? And then once we've finally figured out who we think we are (what we feel comfortable identifying with) then we spend the other portion of our lives attempting to build something, for a variety of reasons. And it's the case for many to spend their entire lives focusing solely on one aspect without ever achieving the other. Some do neither. And few of us achieve both. But nonetheless I think history, in summary, is the story of the human family defining (or re-defining itself/its environment) and building (discovering/re-discovering universal laws to create technology). Thus, history is the evolution of human thought; what humanity thinks about itself and its environment.

huMANS tend to think they are better or higher than all the other consciousness of nature, simply because it has free will (the beauty and tragedy of being human). Because humanity has free will, it has defined itself in a multitude of ways, often contradicting and conflicting within itself. Add to the equation that humans disagree on the ways & the reasons why to build, and one begins to understand why it is difficult to attain world peace.

The rhetorical question(s) I ask are why don't we just call ourselves human doings (?), and how is the current state of human thought serving us in the present world? Is it beneficial for humans to remain in this constant state of "define and build?" Is it beneficial for humanity to continue on down its path of narcissist thinking in relation with all the other consciousness on this planet?

No comments:

Post a Comment