Saturday, September 28, 2013

Do You Really KNOW Me?



When you look at my face, what do you see? Do you see a person of trust? Do you see a person of respect? Do you see someone you can have fun with? Do you see someone you can confide in? Do I look like a person who pays all her bills on time? Am I someone you could envision yourself doing business with?

A lot of people do not know me. That’s because I spent a long time not knowing myself. Sometimes that can happen when a person is deeply traumatized; they retreat into another world to escape the pain felt being present in this one. I've gone through the day to day life (you may have lived with me, or gone to school with me, or work(ed)with me, you may have befriended/dated/partied with me) but I wasn't fully engaged. Well in the words of Erykah Badu “I don’t wanna time travel no mo’. I wanna be here.”

I want people to know me. "Know me” means something totally different now, than what it used to mean when I was, say, 21. Back then, “know me” meant having people say “oh she is SUCH a sweet person!” These days, “know me” means something more like the tangible versions of trust and respect and charity. "Know me" means seeing and relating to the totality of my character, flaws & all. "Know me" means allowing my writings to speak to a place within you that exists within me (within all of us) that you are too afraid to acknowledge and love. A place of vulnerability, yet a place of untapped and unlimited thought and potential for greatness.

Allow me, through the writing gift that God has given me, to reintroduce myself to YOU

No comments:

Post a Comment